[Peace-discuss] King George and perfidy

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 9 11:04:37 CST 2007

Way too many years ago, when I was a college student, a teacher
pointed out that the US president was an unusual head of state,
because he had the powers of a king, and that the only thing
that held him in check was elections.

King George can use the US military as he likes even in the absence
of any extra funding. They must do as he orders.

We do not have the votes to impeach just yet. They will be there as
hearings unfold. They will really be there if Congress blocks a
troop increase in Iraq and Bush does it anyhow (which he may).

I do not share Carl's pessimism. I also do not expect Durbin or Pelosi
to call for impeachment before the votes are in place to achieve it.

Of course, Bush could instead cut ties with the neocons and begin
respecting the law, but so far there is little reason for hope in
that department.....

Bob