[Peace-discuss] Re: USAF attack in Somalia (C. G. Estabrook)

Scott Edwards scottisimo at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 21:11:40 CST 2007

Assume, as I will, that the 3 agenda items you list are correct, Carl, and
they are part of a "common [USG] policy in NE Africa".

The USG's interests in the region as you see them are exactly reason there
is inaction as it relates to Darfur. None of the aims you list are in any
way helped by a proactive, balanced, and intelligent US policy related to
Darfur, and in the case of a UN PKO, such an end would be detrimental to at
least (a) and (c).

Inaction is the crime here. And it is being happening in our names. Assuming
the 3 aims are correct, the death and human suffering happening in our names
in Darfur is a function of the same misguided agenda as the death and human
suffering in our names in South Somalia or even Iraq.

I am no more comfortable justifying current US policy as it relates to
Darfur than I am for Iraq, especially given our mutually agreed assumptions
about what is driving USG behavior in both cases.

Just because a government is "independent" doesn't mean it is legitimate.
The reason I pointed out that Sudan has a functioning (federal) government
and Somalia doesn't is that the US vis a vis Sudan has a partner in
Khartoum. The implicit quid pro quo? Security information and "partnership"
from the GoS in exchange for a restriction of US activity on Darfur to
blustery rhetoric and empty statements.

Governments that slaughter their own people cannot be legitimate. State
sovereignty is dependent on a contact between a government and its people.
When the government violates that contract, imho, it is not a state any
longer, but something else that is as illegal as it is revolting to the
conscience.  The independence of a state has nothing to do with its moral
character, nor of its legitimacy, as we citizens should know.

se