[Peace-discuss] Petrodollar

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Fri Jan 12 23:52:26 CST 2007

Carl is correct in noting that the U.S. gets not much more than 10% of its oil from the Middle East, but
the key is that the U.S. must have the dominant position in terms of controlling Middle East oil.  Why?  It
doesn't matter if we consume Middle East oil, it is simply that all world transactions of petroleum must
occurr in dollars.  This process, that authors John Perkins, David Spiro, and Peter Dale Scott have all
mentioned in books and articles at length, is petrodollar recycling.  Petrodollar recycling is the only
thing holding up U.S. currency amidst profligate corporate welfare, massive trade deficits, stupdendous
accounting deficits, and the lack of any export-based manufacturing.  So, if Iran were to gain control of
Iraqi oilfields and set up an oil trading market denominated in Euros; a run on the dollar wouldn't be far
off.  So, all oil trade must be controlled by the United States if the dollar is to remain solvent.  After all,
there is no other reason to feed this beast if you are an investor.  The threat of force and the stability of
the global oil trade is the only thing holdin up the dollar's value.  That's one of the reasons why nobody
in government has offered any real resistance to the Iraq war---our currency depended upon it.
Saddam Hussein responded to a decade of genocidal U.S. sanctions by striking deals with French,
Russian, and even a few Chinese oil firms to rebuild it dilapidated oil infrastructure.   Back in November
of 2000, he added a caveat to these plans that only snuck their way onto the back pages of the
business pages...  they were going to sell oil from these redeveloped fields on the open market using
Euros.  125 billion barrels of oil owned by geopolitical competitors eager to destroy petrodollar
hegemony was not in the U.S. interest.  That explains why realist politicians, businessman, and
academics acquiesced to the planned invasion of Iraq headed by the more militant neocons.   Well, the
realists led by Baker, Brezinski, Kissinger, and others are starting to move as evidenced by the slow
exodus of neoconservatives.  The arrival of Gates from the Baker Study Group as a prime example of
this process taking place.  The more I look at the Iraq War the more I see it as an inevitability of our
committment as a society to endless consumption and wasteful living.  Mechanized agriculture, car-
dependent communities, Big Box retailing, massive debt (personal through federal) all were made
possible by petrodollar hegemony.  As the U.S. sacrifices its cultural, social, and labor capital to the
amoral economic profit motive driving globalization, the military card used to protect petrodollar
hegemony is the only one left in the deck.  So, we will not be leaving Iraq unless we change our
relationship to the material world and the natural world overnight.

I smell a draft....