[Peace-discuss] Denigrating Carter's book on Israel/Palestine

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Jan 14 20:57:45 CST 2007

Notes from Mazin Qumsiyeh regarding a highly unfavorable review on
Amazon.com of Carter's book.

1) Wolf Blitzer worked for the Israel lobby before he worked for CNN.
2) Action: boycott Amazon
3) Question/commentary: How much will big oil companies pillage from
Iraq?? (I could use some help in the math!)
---------------------
1) Wolf Blitzer worked for the Israel lobby before he worked for
CNN.  Here is a video of him advocating Israeli perspecives on a
Panel with Norman Finkelstein before he became CNN employee http://
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-8aTGnjHnI

2) Action: (I wrote to Jeff Bezos and a Jesse Jensen, executive
customer relations ecr at amazon.com responded that they are keeping the
review.  I wrote back saying Amazon lost a good customer and that I
am informing my listserve.  I also bought four copies of Carter’s
book at Costco- MQ). FWD from Henry Norr: For several weeks now
Amazon.com has been running the full, 1636-word text of a totally
negative review of Jimmy Carter's "Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid" on
the page where it sells the book
http://www.amazon.com/Palestine-Peace-Apartheid-Jimmy-Carter/dp/
0743285026/sr=8-1/qid=1168467614/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2193402-4648137?
ie=UTF8&s=books

Because this is totally out of line with their normal format and in
contradiction to their self-interest in selling copies, and because
their CEO, Jeff Bezos, has flatly turned down requests from me and
other customers for more balanced treatment of the book, it seems
clear that this is either a deliberate political statement on the
part of Amazon's leaders or an abject concession to pressure from
Zionist zealots. Whatever you think of the Carter book, its
publication is an important event, and it's unacceptable for Amazon
to be trying to discourage sales of it.

Since the letters didn't work, I've created an online petition
protesting what Amazon is doing and threatening to cancel my account
there. It's at http://www.petitiononline.com/Amazon07/petition.html .
I hope you'll not only check it out and sign it, but also pass along
copies of this message or one of your own to friends and family and
to all possible e-mail lists.

If you agree that Amazon is out of line on this, but you're
uncomfortable with anything in the petition, or you're not willing to
pledge to close your account, or you don't have an account to begin
with, you can send your own message  directly to Bezos at
jeff at amazon.com.
In fact, even if you do sign the petition, it wouldn't hurt to send
him e-mail in addition.
Most important, though, is to spread the word to as many people as
possible.