[Peace-discuss] Re: Denigrating Carter's Book

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 09:35:45 CST 2007

This should clarify John Wason's concern: there are already positive customer reviews, but the "headline" review selected is the Goldberg drive-by.

  DG

  [Excerpt from Qumsiyeh's [HumanRights] Amazon.com, wheels of justice,
and "Little Mosque on the Prairie" ; 1/14/07]

Follow-up to earlier action alert about Amazon's poor treatment of
Carter's book: Thanks to the hundreds of you who wrote and those who
copied me on the letters to Amazon. Other recipients of my email said
they could not find the negative Washington Post/Goldberg review
displayed prominently in the front. But you can go to Amazon.com and
search Jimmy Carter and it will take you to its page. There you would
actually have to scroll through it to get to customer reviews which I
agree were good. Other readers said that Amazon has allowed good
customer reviews and so it is OK if they included Goldberg's malicious
review. But this is simply not how Amazon treats other books. In fact
to my knowledge there is simply no book in Amazon's top 100 sellers
that is treated like Carter's (with a negative long review before
customer reviews). Take for example Thomas Friedman's stupid book in
defense of corporate globalization "The World is Flat" and see how it
is displayed with no negative editorial reviews. In fact, Amazon sells
Hitler's Mein Kempf, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and other
books like that without treating them in as shabby a way they treated
Carter's book (ie. no lengthy 1600 word negative reviews in the section
for editorial reviews)! BTW, the reviewer (Goldberg) was a guard at the
infamous Ketziot prison (in this video about political prisoners in
Israeli jails their is quite a chilling anecdote about Ketziot:
"Captured Prisoners,"
http://www.ifameric ansknew.org/ stats/cap- pris.html). Anyway I know I
will buy my future books at local booksellers and when I have to do it
over the internet, I will use the unionized bookstore Powells. If you
enter through the union portal, a percent supports the union there:
http://www.unionplu s.org/benefits/ education/ frame_powells. cfm