[Peace-discuss] Re: 9/11 Conspiracy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 19 11:10:23 CST 2007

worry about answers." — Thomas Pynchon

Of course the truth of an assertion does not depend on the motives of
those who hold it, but I do think that there's something quite
comforting about conspiracism.  If our problems stem principally from
the activities of a little group of evil men (the CIA, the neocons, the
Illuminati, the Bilderbergers, the international bankers, the Jews,
etc.), then the solution seems clear: find those people and shoot them.

Results of field tests of this theory over the last century or so have
been indifferent at best, however.  It is far less comforting but
probably more accurate to assume that the horrors we face are the result
of what we have done and what we have failed to do politically.  Here
again it's practically a species of conspiracism to say that it's the
fault of the Bush administration, and if we can just get a Democrat
elected president in 2008 (Clinton? Obama?) everything will be OK.

Cockburn, Chomsky and others find the preoccupation with conspiracism
distracting from political organization against what the Republicans and
Democrats are doing, and that seems right to me.  You obviously wouldn't
reject an accurate analysis because the analyst seems to you to have an
undue "sense of righteousness."  The question is, Is he right?

The shocking new development seems to be that, even though a majority of
Americans are convinced that the USG is following a wrong policy in the
Middle East, that policy continues -- the killing for which we're
responsible continues -- and preparations for an attack on Iran are put
in place.  We should be talking about what is to be done.  --CGE