[Peace-discuss] Johnson recap | petition: ask Senators Durbin and Obama to oppose a U.S. attack on Iran

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 15:12:26 CST 2007

As promised I met with the office of Representative Tim Johnson yesterday.

Phil Martini came along, and, speaking as a Gold Star Father, asked
that Rep. Johnson oppose the supplemental appropriation for the war so
the troops could come home. Phil also presented a recent SEIU
international resolution in opposition to the escalation, which asks
Congress to block funding.

I presented Johnson's staffer with more than a hundred signatures from
people in the 15th Congressional District in opposition to a U.S.
attack on Iran and in support of a Congressional resolution affirming
that President Bush cannot attack Iran without Congressional
authorization. Johnson's staffer said that Representative Johnson
supports diplomacy with Iran, as called for by the bipartisan Iraq
Study Group, and that they would consider co-sponsoring resolutions in
support of diplomacy.

With your assistance, I would like to present the same case to
Senators Durbin and Obama on Thursday. Senator Byrd has introduced a
resolution (S. RES. 39 ) re-affirming that under the Constitution,
President Bush cannot attack Iran - or any other country - without
Congressional authorization.

I have set up an online petition asking Senators Durbin and Obama to
co-sponsor the Byrd resolution.

I hope you can take a moment to sign the petition. You can find it here:

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/involved/durbinobama_iranpetition.html

I also hope you can take a moment to forward it to friends in Illinois
who might sign it.

-

Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy