[Peace-discuss] Martial Law comes to Garden Hills

Marti tvchick at insightbb.com
Mon Jul 2 11:53:35 CDT 2007

Recently residents of the Garden Hills subdivision received a letter in the
mail regarding the increased amount of police activity which would be taking
place.  This was done with the 'good' of the residents in mind.  One of the
results of this increased patrolling is the story below.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2007/06/29/resident_rips_police_over_
shots_into

According to the resident of this house the man who ran into her place was
not firing his gun at the moment, yet police officers maintained open fire
and caused damage to the property.  Now if I decided to damage the property
of my neighbors they would be well within their rights to charge me with
vandalism, yet our police chief defended the actions of his officers when
they caused damage to someone's house.

I wonder if the City of Champaign will pay for the repairs in this instance.
At this point that would be the proper thing to do.

Peace, Marti