[Peace-discuss] Economics

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 3 11:39:47 CDT 2007

Frank's book does not establish that there is a contradiction in
Americans' voting behavior between values and economic self-interest.
It's been criticized on that point, because it assumes that the
Democrats represent many Kansans' economic self-interest.

It's surely simplistic to say that Bush was elected "because people
generally vote their values, not their economic self-interest." (Stupid
people.)

The Bush administration has certainly said that they invaded Iraq
"because [of] values, not their economic self-interest," but that's a
lie.  The invasion was a strategic decision based on the need to
maintain American economic hegemony.  If the principal export of Iraq
were kumquats, the US Army wouldn't be there.