[Peace-discuss] Consensus

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 3 12:47:18 CDT 2007

We require consensus for only two things, Stuart: using the
AWARE name to endorse something (a flyer or an event), and
spending money from our account. The Main Event is different-
we do not own the sidewalk, and if a bunch of pro-war folks
showed up with signs we would have no right to exclude them.
Fortunately, they don't like to get that close to us.

To find out what the motivations for a war are, you have to
ask those who support the war. We can speculate on the neocon's
motivations for what they say and do. But no politician's
statements can be taken as fact, because politician's have an
unfortunate tendency to say what will get them what they want,
not what is true. I have met to date only one person who
thinks that we should be in Iraq to secure their oil for our
own purposes. Plenty of pundits say otherwise, but they
mostly just talk with each other, especially the ones inside
the DC beltway. My own opinion is that we are in Iraq largely
because the administration is packed with fools, that this
is absolute folly.

Bob