[Peace-discuss] Conspiracies, appropriate force

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 5 11:01:46 CDT 2007

Answers to your comments, Mort:

1) Appropriate force is the idea that the use of force should be in
proportion to the harm done or threatened. It is not appropriate, for
example, to shoot a kid who is stealing candy. It was not appropriate to
invade Iraq even if they had had the WMDs. It was not appropriate for
police to pepper spray a kid just because he didn't want to talk to them.
There is thinking in both the military and the police that the right way to
do their job is to threaten extreme force, which they think will guarantee
compliance. This is immoral, leads to the actual use of extreme force when
their target doesn't back down, and is police-state behavior. It is not, I
should say, a conspiracy. It is policy, and the right way to stop it is to
change the policy by democratic means.

2) A conspiracy theory differs from a conspiracy in several ways, and is
pretty easy to spot. The conspiracy is world-wide. The conspirators are
claimed to be very, very good at their secret mischief. A conspiracy
theorist never admits to error, and explains away facts rather than
modifying the theory to fit them, i.e., rejects the scientific method. Once
a conspiracy theory is widely accepted, the killing starts. Religions often
buy into them, and both sides in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have many
adherents to the notion that they are a special group chosen by God,
identify their opposition as a conspiracy against them and God, and think
gives them the right to kill, steal and lie. Witch burning is another
example of what a conspiracy theory is capable of, as was the Spanish
Inquisition. More recently, we have the Holocaust. Marxists identify
liberalism as a world-wide conspiracy against democracy, and we know where
that went in Russia and China (liberalism exterminated, along with a lot of
people, and no democracy). Conspiracy theorists are often perfectly nice
people, but they play with fire.

I should point out, as I have before, that conspiracy theories consistently
violate Occam's Razor. In an effort to make evil understandable, they posit
an impossibly complex dark force.

3) Of course there are conspiracies. At issue is whether they are the
driving force of history, or merely one of many factors.

Bob