[Peace-discuss] Religion and liberalism in America

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 6 21:23:56 CDT 2007

No, I'm sure you're right, Mort -- it's much better to discuss these
matters on the basis of uninformed prejudices about how religion and
liberalism function in America than it is actually to learn the facts...

Nice to have a prejudice, too, that precludes having to read what
someone "committed to a liberal Catholic religious point of view"
writes.  In this case however you may be wrong: the author, Lew Daly,
was a prison chaplain (perhaps Presbyterian?) and published "God and the
Welfare State" with MIT Press (not a major source of Catholic
propaganda) in 2006.  He studied Christian Ethics at Union Theological
Seminary (not a Catholic institution) in New York City and holds a Ph.D.
in seventeenth-century English literature and political thought (not a
particularly Catholic environment). The article appeared in The Boston
Review (not a journal known for Catholic apologetics) and seemed to me
to sketch the complex story of how in 20th century America religious
notions of the common good combated liberal  ideology in the New Deal
attempt to salvage capitalism after its collapse.  Uninformed notions of
American religion and liberalism were indeed attacked.

Daly, whom I've not met, is said incidentally to be writing a book on
"distributive justice in the knowledge economy" with Gar Alperovitz. --CGE