[Peace-discuss] Old right

illyes at uiuc.edu illyes at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 7 21:06:47 CDT 2007

I respected the old right, Robert. I do not respect what the Republican Party has become. My postions, however, are not properly call old right. The ideas of liberal democracy were developed in England, and brought to some level of perfection here.

I call myself progressive because I have much in common with the progresssives of a hundred years ago. My ethics and policitics are basically Aristotlean, by which I mean that right government and right action requires the avoidance of extremes. Polity (which far preceeds the old right) and liberal democracy are both good attempts at this. This is being undermined by the extreme wealth of a handful of people, who seek to simply buy the press, buy the government, kill democracy, and set up a new feudalism.

This happened in the Guilded Age, and it is happening again. The progressives did something about this, and restored some balance in an out-of-balance society. I intend to do something about it as well, if I am granted the time on earth to do so.

Bob