[Peace-discuss] Re: [CPRB] NG editorial

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Jul 15 22:10:59 CDT 2007

I sent the N-G the following letter:

The correct response to the views of a letter supporting “law
enforcement personnel” by John Norwood is that law enforcement
personnel can engage and have engaged in criminal or wrongful acts
when apprehending or pursuing suspects. That is why their acts need
to be monitored by civilian authorities such as civilian police
review boards.

Norwood writes “I couldn’t care less about how criminals are
treated”. This brings to mind the horrors of  Abu Ghraib and
Guantanamo, not to mention brutal and criminal acts occasionally
committed at home by police authorities. Evidently, Norwood believes
all who are apprehended by law authorities are guilty of crimes; they
are criminals. It is either inconceivable to him, or else from a
totalitarian mindset, that those apprehended ought to be presumed
innocent until proven otherwise in a fair court of law. But perhaps
even worse, he believes that there should be no standards of correct
police behavior in treating those under their jurisdiction.

With reference to whether a police review board might be allowed to
have as members either felons or former police officials, I would
suggest that both might have valuable insights, or prejudices, to
offer in evaluating a case brought to their attention. However, there
is no real equivalence here: The police point of view already would
be amply present in cases brought before the board, as police are
naturally involved in such cases, whereas the perspective of someone,
even a former felon, who has been subject to police action adds a
useful dimension not already present. I would hope that the Urbana
City Council will consider these issues carefully, not with the
prejudices manifest in Mr. Norwood’s communication.

--mkb