[CPRB] RE: [Peace-discuss] CPRB

Esther Patt epatt at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 17 15:08:44 CDT 2007

It's always amusing, when Urbana proposes adopting something that already exists in dozens of communities around the country, that opponents step forward to assert that the sky will surely fall if Urbana takes the unprecedented step of doing anything new.  Whether it was creating a city-wide recycling program, adopting an Historic Preservation Ordinance, adopting an anti-war resolution, implementing rental registration for apartments -- our city was a late-comer to a national trend but opponents threatened horrible consequences.  Robert Dunn's claim that the crime rate will sky-rocket if the city creates a Police Review Board  is just plain silly.  The real experiences of dozens of communities through the nation refute Robert's claim.

By the way:

The Fraternal Order of Police fundraises the money for Shop with a Cop.  I think it's a good program and donate to it, but wanted Robert and others to know that the program is not about police officers spending their own money to buy things for low-income children (although I don't doubt there are officers who donate to the fund).  But the money is raised by the FOP -- primarily by their calling people like all of us and asking for donations.  Then the officers go shopping with the children for "holiday" presents, using the money raised in the community.  Community members are needed to accompany the officers and kids on the shopping trip and to help the children wrap the presents they buy.

Esther Patt