[Peace-discuss] Durbin interview

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Thu Jul 19 15:27:41 CDT 2007

Some impressions on the telephone interaction with Senator Durbin:

Durbin is a typical liberal Democrat. He has liberal social
inclinations, but he is not one to be out front on crucial issues. He
is a team player on the liberal (leftish?) wing of the Democratic
party. His statements yesterday essentially amounted to an apology
for the main Democratic positions in the Senate relative to the Iraq
war and the Bush administration. He blithely cast off suggestions
that impeachment actions were warranted, that the Senate could
withhold funds for the execution of the war and military
expenditures.  He in effect rejected the two actions which could
really end the Iraq war and our march towards militarism and empire.
He advocated an incremental policy to slow Bush's agenda, a policy
which I feel will just continue the bleeding of the war, in  Iraq and
elsewhere. He said that the votes were lacking to do anything more,
but that he hoped that that will change (as the next election
approaches) and more Republican senators come to see the light.

Durbin basically subscribes to the "war" on terror, wants American
troops in Iraq to "stabilize" the situation there--without being so
aggressive. He is a staunch defender of Israel's interests in the
middle east and all that is thereby entailed, and dismisses a
possible attack (invasion was the wrong word to use) on Iran, stating
that the Senate would not allow it. What this shows is either an
astonishing naivete or a lack of will to oppose such actions. He
grossly underplays the ability of the administration to sidestep the
(ambiguous) actions of the Senate.

What is needed, and what Durbin and others like him need to be told
is that we're fed up with self serving statements criticizing the
administration, that we need a militant opposition with leaders who
will raise hell about what's been happening----a murderous invasion/
occupation by a rogue American administration. The situation demands
it. The situation demands impeachment, demands actions to stop
military appropriations, and demands that our representatives use
their bully pulpit to condemn this government's behavior. Things
could be better with stronger and principled leadership in the
Senate, but Durbin or Leahy or Levin or Reid will not  provide that.
Norman Soloman writes:

A big media lie is that members of Congress are doing all they can
when they try and fail to pass measures that would impose a schedule
for withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. The Constitution gives
Congress the power to pay for war — and to stop a war by refusing to
appropriate money for it. Every vote to pay for more war is soaked
with blood.

There is little will in Congress to really stop the occupation of
Iraq, and that goes for Durbin. Congress and the powers that be see
it in our national interest to control the middle east, and beyond.

So, what can we expect?

The cards are stacked. There may be cosmetic changes to our policy in
Iraq, and some corrections to the most egregious domestic acts of the
administration such as with habeas corpus and the Patriot Act, but
I'm afraid that we shall be saddled with some form of the current
policy into the indefinite future, or at least until some other world
powers arise to oppose what we've been doing. Otherwise, it will take
a revolution to change the present trend, and that is not likely
unless some catastrophe intervenes to wake up the populace, fed up as
it is. The organization of the anti-war movement is not sufficient to
move this populace to real effective action so as to threaten the
status quo. We need millions in the streets, and not just in NYC. The
deeper problem is in the structure of our government and its
electoral processes, the pernicious influence of corporations and
their monied lobbyists, which perpetuates a congress beholden to
their interests.  Aside from lonely voices such as Kucinich,
essentially ostracised among the Democrats, the people have not had
real choices to vote for on critical issues.

Look at the cogent, clear headed article by Anthony Arnove:
  http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=13327