[CPRB] RE: [Peace-discuss] CPRB

Esther Patt epatt at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 19 15:32:38 CDT 2007

Two incorrect pieces of information about the proposed ordinance keep being repeated in letters to the editor (and in Robert's message to which I am responding).

1. The claim that convicted felons can serve on the Review Board is incorrect. The text of the Ordinance explicitly excludes convicted felons.  Regardless of the nature of the felony, how long ago it was, or in what jurisdiction or state it occurred, the mere fact of being a convicted felon prevents a person from serving.

2. The claim that there will be no law enforcement perspective on the board is incorrect.  The Ordinance provides for the Chief of Police to appoint a representative of the Police Department (Chief would probably choose a Lt.)to staff the board.  According to the Ordinance, that person will sit in on all closed sessions for the purpose of advising the board about police procedures.  At a task force meeting, this was an idea proposed by Tracy Parsons of the Urban League and Chief Biley liked it because he thought -- from a police perspective -- it would be better to have one of his officers in the closed session as an advisor explaining URBANA PROCEDURES to all 7 members, than to have one of the 7 members be a retired law enforcement official from another jurisdiction who might not be familiar with Urbana procedures.

The board itself -- all 7 members -- should be people who are neutral, like a jury.  They should neither be people who have a vested interest in protecting the police nor people who have a vested interest in "getting" the police.  That's why some members of the mayor's task force who drafted the proposed ordinance felt no law enforcement people should be among the 7 members and why the police felt no convicted felon should be among the 7 members.

Beyond these 2 restrictions, the mayor must endeavor to select people whose interest is community relations and community improvement and who are fair and unbiased.  I suggested, though it's not in the ordinance, that former judges, former council members and any other people who have had past relationships with police officers not be appointed because it would be hard for them to be neutral, even if they endeavored to be fair.

Esther Patt