[Peace-discuss] Wrong reasons

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 02:01:01 CDT 2007

At 11:38 PM 7/21/2007, you wrote:

>I don't quite agree, John, that my barber has changed her mind for the
>wrong reasons. We must all make the best decisions we can given the
>constraints of what we know and understand. Inside of those constraints,
>she made the decision for the right reasons.

Pshaw.

>When I speak to folks on the right, one point I try to make is that, even
>if one believed that the invasion of Iraq was correct, one must also ask
>if we had the means to carry out what we intended. Because if we did not,
>all the death and destruction would be for nothing, and would be an
>enormous evil. This is a separate argument from whether we were right to
>invade, and it is valid and important.
>
>Bob
>
><mailto:peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net

Of course it's separate and valid and important.  But what "means" are you
talking about?  Financial?  Military?  Psychological?  How do you get your
compadres on the right to agree with you on the means you're talking
about?  And how do you go about calculating the cost?

And what exactly did we intend in Iraq?  The Bush administration kept
changing the story.  As fast as one lie was exposed, they came up with a
new one.  No one in said administration heeded the myriad lessons of history.

I'll never forget being in Steak and Shake on S. Neil one day when Tim
Johnson came in, going around and shaking hands.  (I'm sure I've already
told this story on peace-discuss.)   He had just been elected U.S.
representative for the first time, and Clinton had just presented America
(supposedly) with a balanced budget - no deficit.  I said to Tim, "Tim, I'm
not exactly convinced there's no longer a deficit.  But if that is indeed
the case, before you go giving tax breaks to the rich, you need to shore up
Social Security and Medicare, and start repairing America's infrastructure,
and begin paying down the national debt."  "We can do it all!" Tim
said.  The more I politely disagreed, the louder Tim shouted, right there
in Steak and Shake, "WE CAN DO IT ALL, I TELL YOU!!!"  How do you reason
with a cretin like that?  In what way is he - our elected representative in
Congress, for Christ's sake - counting the cost?

I'll also never forget, following the fall of the USSR, when Professor
Francis Fukiyama wrote, to great acclaim, "The End of History".  Democracy
and free-market capitalism (which he conflates) had triumphed, he asserted,
for all time.  How do you reason with someone like that?  How do you
prevent history - which has in fact not ended, since it's like the law of
gravity - from repeating itself?

How do you keep your barber and your janitor from believing the nonsense
propagated by the Tim Johnsons and the Francis Fukiyamas of the world?