Fwd: [Peace-discuss] Susan Davis letter

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Sun Jul 22 10:43:03 CDT 2007

> Subject: [Peace-discuss] Susan Davis letter
>
> Susan Davis has an excellent letter to the editor in today's
> News-Gazette regarding our occupation of Iraq. She says it exactly
> right, sticking to the facts and avoiding ideology.
>
> Bob
Iraq war is lost, time to bring troops home

Sunday July 22, 2007

The United States is spending $12 billion a month on the war in Iraq, a
war that everyone except the Bush administration agrees is a lost
cause. Far too late, the administration and congressional leaders are
feeling the pressure from their own constituents to pull out of the
quagmire they've made.

Unfortunately, Bush is asleep at the wheel, and Congress is driving
sideways. The congressional plan is to tell Americans that a withdrawal
will soon be under way, denying meanwhile that they are building the
structure of a permanent occupation. Our leaders envision pulling back
combat troops to bases on Iraq's periphery, leaving "counterterrorism"
and "security" forces on the ground.

In other words, the withdrawal will not be a withdrawal at all. This is
the Henry Kissinger plan that kept young American men dying in Vietnam
for years after the war was supposedly over.

It's up to all of us, with letters and phone calls and demonstrations,
to push our elected officials toward a real and just end to this
criminal enterprise. Bring all the troops home now.

  SUSAN DAVIS

Urbana
  Find this article at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/letters/2007/07/22/