[Peace-discuss] Hitler

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 23 14:17:02 CDT 2007

Thanks for the excellent reference, Mort. As I've said before, the
left-right distinction is not on a line, but a circle. The Libertarians and
the anarchist left  are not opposites, but sit near each other on the
circle. I'm not at all surprised to hear this about Hitler from a Libertarian.

I used to get visits from a Jehovah's Witness who had been in the German
Army during WW2. I always told him that he couldn't convert me, but that
I'd be glad to talk with him. He was born in Milwaukee, but during the
Great Depression his father couldn't find work. His uncle in Germany said
that there was plenty of work there, so his family returned to Germany.
This is how a kid from Milwaukee ended up in the German Army on the Russian
front. In the early days, Hitler did much do combat unemployment. Like many
of us, Hitler was concerned about the bad effects of international
capitalism. Unfortunately, there was madness behind his method.

One of the safest places to be in Nazi Germany was in a conventional
prison. The German justice system continued to function more-or-less as
before, and the police and the courts would keep you safe. Instead of
trying to subvert the German justice system, which would have caused a
massive backlash, the Nazis set up a parallel legal system of "courts" and
prison camps. That is now happening in the US.

Bob