[Peace-discuss] Hitler

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Mon Jul 23 15:12:45 CDT 2007

Bob,
    Your point about the parallel justice system is excellent.  The development
of this system, as part of
the secret government of the national security state
(military-industrial-intelligence complex), has
reared its ugly head in numerous political events and major scandals.  The
national security state really
began to usurp governmental power when they participated in the murder of JFK on
the streets of
Dallas.  Their covert work in this period helped fire the flames of conflict in
SE Asia, spreading the war
beyond Vietnam to Laos and Cambodia.  The Watergate scandal flowed directly out
of this as well---
linking the perpetrators of the JFK murder to the systemic corruption of the
Pentagon and intelligence
services revealed in the Pentagon Papers.  Watergate briefly inspired those rare
moments of truth in
government where the national security state's assault on democracy and civil
liberties became part of
the accepted taxonomy of public discourse during the hearings of both the Church
and Pike
Committees.  The national security state's participation in the infilitration of
popular organizations and
their accessory role in the murder of many leaders of the New Left became known.
Even the House
Select Committe on Assassinations admitted that the murder of the President was
a conspiracy of
organized crime (yet ignored the decisive role played by the national security
state here).  The
crackdown on "alphabet" agencies, particularly the CIA and FBI, offered some
hope for the restoration of
a more democratic form of government.  The mass televisual delusion of the
Reagan era---an era that
has cast a long shadow over today's politics---ended the search for truth and
the pursuit of justice.
Instead, the national security state returned with avengeance.  Iran-Contra
increased the national
security state's role in American politics.   They could completely subvert the
Constitution and they
flaunted both Congress and international law in mining the Managua harbor in contravention to the
Boland Amendment and the Geneva Conventions.  They also trafficked crack into America's inner cities
in order to fund arms sales and pocket windfall profits---thereby infecting the U.S. financial system
with billions of laundered organized crime cash.  (See Gary Webb's Dark Alliance and Peter Dale Scott's
Cocaine Politics for more information on this crime).  Now, the Patriot Act, the overturning of the
Insurrection Act, and the Military Commissions Act have legitimated this criminal state.  The parallel
government is now at war with the American citizen, and this war is now backed by the full force of
official law...  AND WE THINK SUPPORTING DEMOCRATS HELPS THIS?  DEMOCRATS HAVE WORKED WITH
THIS AGENDA FOR A HOST OF REASONS FOR YEARS!  SEEING FRANK CHURCH DEFEATED BY THE RIGHT-
WING IN THE EARLY 1980S WITH NARY A WORD FROM THE POPULATION SURELY EMBOLDENED THE
NATIONAL SECURITY STATE.  Working through Washington does little good.  If anything, the public's
indifference and acquiesence for all practical purposes equals tacit support for the parallel criminal
national security state.  I sometimes wonder if we deserve any better than this.  A public that believed
the verbal hogwash spewed by an aged TV actor suffering from dementia and that did little to hold his
corrupt Administration and their progeny to task surely deserves whatever comes their way.
   Don't misunderstand me.  I REALLY WANT DEMOCRACY TO WIN!  But, I don't think the mass
consciousness, the collective if you will, really cares.  Like John Wason says, Joe Sixpack doesn't care---
who will win the Super Bowl seems more important.  I want very badly to have Carl's passionate
optimism in the political righteousness of the American people.  But, hey they are excited for the
American Idolization of the 2008 election.  Outside of Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich (and Cynthia
McKinney when she was the lone voice of dissent in Congress arguing that 911 was caused or at least
abetted by the Bush Administration), nobody is looking at the profound disease of American political
society.  The people have their bread and circuses.  The Republic be damned, and democracy be
consigned to the grave.  It's final relegation to the death bed dates back to 11/22/63, and it took
nearly forty years to expire.  The Bush-Cheney regime is the final stake through the heart of the
American polity.  Our distracted society seems oblivious to this fact---and so be it for them.  A part of
me is ready and willing to concede that the cause is lost and that our society is heading into its terminal
decline.  Morris Berman in Dark Ages America and Kevin Phillips in American Theocracy, as well as a
long list of other clear-minded social commentators, have accurately diagnosed this trend.  What
remains to be seen is if some pockets of American society can construct alternatives to this diseased
collective that are capable of being beacons of regenerative hope and models of sustainable democracy
capable of providing models for posterity.