[Peace-discuss] The people

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Wed Jul 25 13:54:35 CDT 2007

Thank you for your comment, John.  I would also like to add that a people such as ourselves really have
a higher moral duty for not only criticism but meaningful, peaceful action.  Where were we when the
people of MOVE were liquidated and the Philadelphia SWAT in conjunction with a militarized FBI
incinerated a whole city block and killed 20 people?  Where were we when the FBI in conjunction with
the ATF and the military massacred the innocents at the Branch Davidian Church in Waco--this time on
national TV?  These are but two examples from the recent past that should havd sparked an outcry
from a decent society demanding justice for groups like MOVE and the Branch Davidians who wanted to
live in freedom and peace only to find themselves flattened by govt jackboot.  And now we are going to
stop the Leviathan as it devours its children with ever greater speed, power, and rapacity?  I think we
have to think carefully about this.  The people are sovereign---but only in principle.  Our actions must
prove it and we must use that sovereignty wisely to build a society based on justice, equality, and
freedom.  The history of man speaks against this and the tragic nature of existence in this dimension
will likely still teach us many harsh lessons about the meaning of freedom.  I sometimes ponder the
possibility that perhaps man is programmed to socialize in oppressive societies where the vast majority
are consigned to servitude in some fashion and a given elite accrues most of the power and wealth
through coercion and violence.  Maybe this sheds further light on the meditation of Rousseau that "Man
is born free yet everywhere he is in chains."  However, in contrast to Rousseau man's freedom will not
be found in the collective of the general will.  I think the answer is something different, and I don't have
it formulated...  But, the inner turmoil and deliberation necessary to answer this question is far more
important for each of us---our culture clearly does not promote this.   The Super Bowl and American
Idol offer themselves as glossy, simulacral substitutes.