[Peace-discuss] Bush gives important speech

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 25 22:28:51 CDT 2007

...Bush three times said this: "If we were to cede Iraq to men like
this, we would leave them free to operate from a safe haven which they
could use to launch new attacks on our country."

But the attacks of 9/11 weren't planned from a safe haven in Afghanistan
- they were planned from totally unprotected (except by anonymity)
locations in Germany and South Florida. A "safe haven" is relevant to,
say, a guerrilla movement which is amassing an army in such a safe
haven, hoping ultimately to overthrow a central government. But al Qaida
isn't amassing troops for an armed insurrection against the U.S.
government, and putting together teams of 10 or 20 people for a
terrorist action doesn't require a "safe haven," just good cover.

The "safe haven" theory might apply if, say, al Qaida was intent on
amassing a force in Iraq to invade and overthrow the government of Saudi
Arabia, although there's no evidence that's remotely in the cards (or
that it would have the slightest chance of success). As it applies to
threats to the United States, the "safe haven" theory is complete nonsense.

--http://lefti.blogspot.com/