[Peace-discuss] Bush gives important speech

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 26 00:51:28 CDT 2007

You're right to remind us about Conyers (and Schumer) in regard to Waco,
but I think you're wrong about this. I think a lot of activists'
valuable time is being spent barking up the wrong tree.  Not for the
first time -- something similar happened on the American Left after the
killing of John Kennedy.

Ten years ago a Defense Department report of declassifying documents
suggested that information about the JFK assassination should be
released now and then as a "diversion," as "distraction material," which
could keep people busy on wild goose chases so they wouldn't investigate
the serious questions.

Here's Noam Chomsky's response:

     "There's by now a small industry on the thesis that the
administration had something to do with 9-11. I've looked at some of it,
and have often been asked. There's a weak thesis that is possible though
extremely unlikely in my opinion, and a strong thesis that is close to
inconceivable. The weak thesis is that they knew about it and didn't try
to stop it. The strong thesis is that they were actually involved. The
evidence for either thesis is, in my opinion, based on a failure to
understand properly what evidence is. Even in controlled scientific
experiments one finds all sorts of unexplained phenomena, strange
coincidences, loose ends, apparent contradictions, etc. Read the letters
in technical science journals and you'll find plenty of samples. In real
world situations, chaos is overwhelming, and these will mount to the
sky. That aside, they'd have had to be quite mad to try anything like
that. It would have had to involve a large number of people, something
would be very likely to leak, pretty quickly, they'd all be lined up
before firing squads and the Republican Party would be dead forever.
That would have happened whether the plan succeeded or not, and success
was at best a long shot; it would have been extremely hard to predict
what would happen.

     "One part of the standard story is that they exploited the tragedy
for their own purposes, which is certainly true, and was completely
predictable; I pointed out in my first interviews a few hours later that
every power system in the world would do that, including Washington, as
they all did -- one of the easiest predictions..."