[Peace-discuss] Draft for flyer for August Main Event

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 26 20:18:50 CDT 2007

[The text below is from a draft by Mort. A slightly formatted version is
attached. Suggestions are welcome.  We'll try to avoid the unseemly
hassle over whether the last flyer was an "official" AWARE statement by
noting on this one that it was "Prepared by members of AWARE" -- which
(in the words of Henry Kissinger) has "the added advantage of being
true." --CGE]

		QUESTIONS ABOUT THE WAR AND OCCUPATION

[1]  THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY WON CONTROL OF THE CONGRESS LAST FALL.  WHY
HAVEN'T THEY DONE SOMETHING ABOUT THE WAR, WHICH  A LARGE MAJORITY OF
AMERICANS OPPOSE?

Our Senator Durbin is a member of Democratic party's leadership in the
Senate.  He has been sympathetic on many domestic social issues, but he
is not one to be out front on crucial issues. His tearful retraction
some time ago from an initially courageous statement concerning
despicable U.S. treatment of prisoners in Guantanamo can be cited as
evidence. He is a team player on more liberal wing of the Democratic
party. Recent public statements by the senator essentially amount to an
apology for the Democratic positions in the Senate relative to the Iraq
war. He has tended blithely to cast aside suggestions that impeachment
initiatives against the Cheney/Bush administration are warranted --  or
that the Senate has the power to withhold funds for military
expenditures and the launching of aggressive wars.

He in effect rejects the two steps which could really end the Iraq war,
not to speak of our nation's march towards militarism and empire. He and
his Democratic colleagues have advocated only an incremental policy to
slow Bush's agenda, a policy which will only continue the bleeding of
the war, in Iraq and elsewhere. He and the Democratic leadership claim
that the votes in Congress are lacking to do anything more now -- they
hope for a change, as the next election approaches, and more Republican
senators come to see the light.

In fact, both parties in Congress go along with the implications of
Bush’s "war on terror” and both want American forces in Iraq to
"stabilize" the situation -- but they do seem to be somewhat embarrassed
by our behavior. Both parties are staunch defenders of Israel's
interests in the Middle East and all that entails. As for Iran, as
advocates of Israel, many like Obama and Clinton are belligerent, while
others like Durbin are mute. We have here either an astonishing
nonchalance concerning possible plans by the current administration or a
lack of will to oppose such plans. In reassuring us that an attack on
Iran would not be tolerated by Congress, they  grossly underplay the
ability of the administration to sidestep Congress' ambiguous actions.

What is needed -- and what Durbin and others like him need to be told --
is that we're fed up with self-serving statements criticizing the
administration.  We need a militant opposition with leaders who will
raise hell about what's occurred -- a murderous invasion and occupation
by a rogue American administration. The present dire predicament and the
actions of this administration demand impeachment, demand stopping
military appropriations dedicated to war and occupation, and demand that
our representatives condemn this government's behavior. The Democratic
leadership which in the last  congressional election was entrusted to
get us out of the Iraq quagmire is betraying their electorate.

Norman Solomon has written, "A big media lie is that members of Congress
are doing all they can when they try and fail to pass measures that
would impose a schedule for withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. The
Constitution gives Congress the power to pay for war — and to stop a war
by refusing to appropriate money for it. Every vote to pay for more war
is soaked with blood."

What is holding congressional Democrats back from effective action to
stop this war and occupation is that they, with the administration and
their supporters, see it to be  in “our” national interest to control
the Middle East.  There is therefore little incentive to end the
occupation of Iraq. Yet the Democratic party wishes to paint itself as
anti-war in order to assuage a clearly anti-war electorate. The result
is a striking failure of our democracy -- the expressed will of most of
the American people is being hypocritically flouted.

[2] SO, WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?

	The cards seem to be stacked against true progress in ending the
American occupation and its general belligerence on the world scene.
There may be cosmetic changes to our policy in Iraq and some corrections
to the most egregiously repressive domestic actions of this
administration, such as the denial of habeas corpus and the Patriot Act,
but we can expect to be saddled with some form of the current policy
into the indefinite future, unless there is some truly vociferous
international opposition. Otherwise, it will take a massive and militant
outpouring here at home, a kind of revolution, to change the present
trend, and that is not likely unless some catastrophe intervenes to
awaken the public, even fed up as it is. The organization of the
anti-war movement is not sufficient to move our populace to really
effective action so as to threaten the status quo. That would require
millions protesting in the streets across America.

Furthermore, there  is a deeper, systemic problem: the structure of our
government and its electoral processes, the pernicious influence of
corporations and other financially powerful lobbyists, perpetuates a
Congress beholden to their interests.  Aside from lonely voices such as
Rep. Dennis Kucinich, essentially ostracized among the Democrats, and
Rep. Ron Paul, treated similarly by the Republicans, real opposition to
the war has not been heard in Congress.

[3] BUT CONGRESS SEEMS TO BE MOVING TOWARDS WITHDRAWAL.

One is tempted to view this as progress. It seemingly feeds into the
assumption that even if the occupation is maintained for the remaining
18 months of the Bush-Cheney regime, it will be dismantled shortly
afterwards. But a closer look at the position of the Democratic Party
and the supposedly antiwar Republicans proves disconcerting, because
almost no one among the political class favours a complete withdrawal.
They want the Iraqi army to take over combat operations, with a smaller
contingent of US forces providing training and back-up, and keeping Al
Qaeda in Mesopotamia at bay.

This isn’t all that different from what appears to be the Bush
administration’s Plan B: cutting the US presence in Iraq by about half
and retreating into well-guarded bases, from where air strikes and
ground missions can be launched at will. This belated semi-exit strategy
cannot work, not least because the remaining troops will continue to be
perceived as an occupation army.

The American desire for permanent military bases in the region has
widely been recognized since the Kuwait crisis led to the first Gulf war
16 years ago, and the Australian defence minister, Brendan Nelson,
recently offered official confirmation of a primary premise of the Iraq
invasion when he stated that his country backed the US because of the
need to secure energy supplies. Most Arabs have never been under any
illusion on this score. As enduring symbols of a hated occupation,
long-term bases will inevitably be targeted. The Americans will
retaliate, and after a few months the question of a surge will rear its
grotesque head once more.
	--Mahir Ali,
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=13321

[4] WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO END THE OCCUPATION?

I think it will take much more pressure at home and also within the rank
and file of the U.S. military in Iraq.

We have to take advantage of the cracks that are opening within the
establishment to campaign vocally and publicly against the war,
involving greater numbers of the people and communities affected by the
war at home--which has gone hand in hand with the war against the Iraqi
people.

We need to put pressure on both the Democrats and Republicans, and not
simply collapse into a lobbying wing for the Democratic Party.

There will be immense pressure on the antiwar movement to give up its
independence and get behind whatever candidate the Democrats put forward
in 2008, no matter what their limitations. People will tell us this is
how we can be relevant.

I think the antiwar movement would be irrelevant, though, if we did
this. We’ll be much more effective if we articulate our own principles
and demands--including immediate withdrawal--and fight for them.

And we also need to defend and support those soldiers who in greater
numbers are speaking out, refusing service, declaring conscientious
objection and, at great personal risk, organizing against the war...
	--Anthony Arnove,
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=13327

This flyer was prepared by members of AWARE (Anti-War Anti-Racism
Effort), a local Champaign-Urbana peace group.
AWARE meets every Sunday 5-6:30pm in the basement of the IMC (the old
post office in Urbana).
Visitors and new members are welcome.
http://www.anti-war.net/
August 4, 2007