[Peace-discuss] Joe six-pack

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:27:32 CDT 2007

I respectfully submit that I think Joe six-pack has a lot more sense and
decency than it sometimes seems, and that many of these folks, of whom I've
know quite a few, can actually use words as long as any of us use, and know
what they mean as well.

That said, we need to look at the purpose of anti-war activity. There are
two core purposes:

1) Show solidarity with those who feel as we do, so that they will not feel
alone and will not give up the good fight. This is the main thing that we
accomplish.

2) Counter the arguments of those who argue against peace. This is
complicated. I think that it is not necessary to over-simplify things to
reach the other side. Susan (and Al) did a really good job of putting the
case for peace briefly and accurately, but I also think that Mort's more
complex approach is not at all inappropriate.

Bob