[Peace-discuss] Beyond ideology

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Sun Jul 29 01:02:40 CDT 2007

I think the masses should be allowed to vote, and I don't think they should be treated poorly or
subjugated under the yoke of a rapacious global corporate capitalism.   But, I don't know if we can get
humanity to scale back its resource consumption, engage in local economic activities with their local
farmers and bankers, or give up barbaric religious ideas that fan the flames of hatred and violence...  In
theory, the people deserve to live this way.  The modern Jeffersonian vision articulated in writers as
diverse as Wendell Berry, GK Chesterton, and EF Schumacher seems a far way off from being on the
radar screen of the political consciousness of the masses drowning in debt, cheap consumption, and
vicarious entertainment...  When the rural poor as described in "What's the Matter with Kanas" by
Thomas Frank continually resort to religious fundamentalism, racism, homophobia, and anti-
intellectualism instead of concerted democratic action against concentrated political/economic powers,
I have serious doubts about the abilities of the masses to realize the democratic society that would be
theirs for the taking...
   Unfortunately, it appears the glue of human societies and anything more than the smallest group
associations of human beings seems to be that of murderous hatred.  Hence, the entrenched elites
foment hatred for designated scapegoats in order to deflect the masses' understanding of the skewed
power distributions.  Time and time again, the masses have willingly fallen for this same old pattern.  It
makes me wonder if the mass consciousness doesn't unwittingly follow some preprogrammed
template.  So, will the masses organize for peace?  Well, MLK and Gandhi point the way to partial
successes.  MLK got African-American suffrage and the basic veneer of political rights yet economic
inequality has persisted and even increased in this country as it seems as if African-American
population, particularly its young men, appear to be socially conditioned by our racist society for a life
spent without hope and behind iron bars.  Gandhi freed India from the British, but he couldn't protect it
from the poisonous religious sectarianism that killed him and started the long-running conflict
between India and Pakistan.  So, perhaps we will have another moment like that here in this country.
But, the culture must change radically and move away from its hedonistic, crass materialism that is so
destructive of community and cultural memory.  If we are to have democracy at all, we will need these
as refuges for the long struggle ahead against an entrenched corporate oligarchy eager to enslave us in
their version of Pleasure Island (sponsored by Chase Mastercard!) while we drain the planet's reources
and exhaust its ecosystems....