[Peace-discuss] Paul, peace candidate?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 29 20:08:46 CDT 2007

	The case for a Ron Paul presidency
	Justin Raimondo
	July 27, 2007 10:00 PM

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/justin_raimondo/2007/07/the_case_for_ron_paul.html

In trying to figure out how to explain Ron Paul to a British audience, I
looked - in vain - for someone on the current British political scene to
compare him to.

The Conservatives, with their support for the British welfare state, and
their pro-Bush foreign policy, hardly come close, and, even looking back
in history, it is hard to find an approximation. We have to go all the
way back to the nineteenth century, to the antiwar, anti-imperialist
"Little England"-ism of Richard Cobden, John Bright, and the Manchester
School, before we find a halfway apt comparison.

Looking at the American political landscape for antecedents, we don't
find many until we get to the 1930s, where critics of the New Deal and
Franklin Delano Roosevelt's rush to war arose on the American Right.

Today's rightwingers are as far away from Paul, philosophically, as
anyone on the left. In fact, Paul probably has more in common with many
leftists because of his thoroughgoing opposition to American imperialism
and the idea that Washington is the world's policeman. Indeed, the
head-on clash between the neoconservative worldview and an older
conservative perspective on foreign policy occurred during the South
Carolina Republican party debate, in which Rudolph Giuliani claimed not
to have ever heard an explanation such as the one Paul gave for the 9/11
terrorist attacks on the US. Said Paul:

     Have you ever read the reasons they attacked us? They attack us
because we've been over there; we've been bombing Iraq for 10 years.

     We don't understand the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics.
So right now we're building an embassy in Iraq that's bigger than the
Vatican. We're building 14 permanent bases.

     What would we say here if China was doing this in our country or in
the Gulf of Mexico? We would be objecting. We need to look at what we do
from the perspective of what would happen if somebody else did it to us.

A foreign policy based on prudence, non-interventionism, and the pursuit
of American interests narrowly defined - this is Paul's truly
conservative view of international affairs. It is the exact opposite of
what is espoused by the radical utopians who hijacked American foreign
policy during the reign of Bush the Lesser.

On the domestic policy front, the weird inversion of traditionally
conservative principles - less government, less regulation,
decentralisation of power, and emphasis on individual rights - has
continued unabated during the Bush era. The Patriot Act, the Military
Commissions act, the legislative evisceration of habeas corpus, and the
rise of the surveillance state - Ron Paul stood like a rock against the
War Party's relentless assault on civil liberties at a time when it was
unpopular to do so.

Quite naturally, the political establishment is trying to downplay the
Ron Paul phenomenon, but the market, as always, reigns supreme, and
Paul's growing popularity is evidenced in his fundraising success: this
quarter, he comes in third in the Republican field, ahead of former
frontrunner John "Bombs Away" McCain, and does so with a solid
constituency of dedicated and very active supporters, especially among
the young. Paul's message of personal liberty and a sane foreign policy
resonates with the 20-something set, and as the candidate travels around
the country, attracting relatively large crowds, youthful faces predominate.

His rising status as the candidate of the youthful Republican set is
enhanced by the fact that he seems unlikely to be a cult hero of any
sort. With his easygoing, unpretentious manner and undisputed sincerity,
Ron Paul comes across as authentic. He's no actor: here, at last, is a
man who lives by his principles. Paul refuses to take his generous
congressional pension, and disdains all the other perks and privileges
of his office. As a doctor, he wouldn't accept Medicaid payments, and
forbade his children from taking any federal aid for their education.

The 71-year-old country doctor - Paul's an obstetrician who has
delivered thousands of babies - with his socially conservative lifestyle
and somewhat ornery manner, is an unlikely hero to the younger
generation. Yet the 10-term Republican congressman from a conservative
Gulf coast Texas district of farmers - quintessential Bush country -
shows signs of becoming the Eugene McCarthy of the new millennium.

	###