[Peace-discuss] Immigration and Black workers

Mike Mulberry mike at community-ucc.org
Thu Jun 7 15:55:52 CDT 2007

Barbara, Karen, et al,

Great questions and good systems and structures piece from James Thindwa.

I think, Karen, this analysis is done anectdotally.  I was confronted by an
African-American woman after I made a presentation on immigration for our
wider church in Chicago.  She referenced relatives who "shrimped" on the
Mississippi delta and had lost their jobs to undocumented workers.  This
example points out the reality that President Bush is wrong.  Undocumented
workers are not taking the jobs Americans do not want.  Americans cannot
make a living on the pay at which those jobs are offered.  The pay, in fact,
may be illegal for someone we can document.  But even though these
experiences may be more of an exception rather than a rule, anecdotal
evidence can be the strongest because it generally comes out of your own
experience.  So we have to invite folks to see a bigger picture.

Remember that this is how class narrative always plays out.  Jews and Greeks
killed each other in first century Rome (The baptismal formula Paul quotes
in his letter to the political associations in Galatia:  "There is neither
Jew nor Greek..in Christ Jesus"), Korean grocers and African American folk
exploding in south central L.A. after the Rodney King verdict.  Divide and
conquer, displace blame and now nobody ever asks, "What do we have in
common?" or "What is the reason we are competing for the same low-paying
job?"

Depending on how we define amnesty (if amnesty does not provide a path to
citizenship we have the same nameless, faceless work force to exploit),
amnesty may very well provide for the status quo and cut against the grain
of what solidarity groups seek:  an immigration policy that is secure,
ordered, and more humane.  Drugs and terrorism are real problems.  To allow
ten to twelve million people to remain nameless and faceless creates not
only the situation Mr. Thindwa describes, but also is a real security risk.
Big business profits from these folk remaining nameless and faceless (the
masses, "the ochlos" in New Testament understanding).  I believe the Bush
Administration proposal will keep folk nameless and faceless because of the
gauntlet it proposes while peppering in raids to show the American public
the executive is on the job.  The incredible danger is how the executive
branch can use discretion and target enemies or rivals with these raids.

Finally, the current immigration crisis came about through U.S. foreign,
economic, and trade policy.  That is at the root of all this.  That is why
this discussion is so problematic.  We have to once again critique the
United States government (way beyond parties) to suggest that we cannot dump
tons of cheap corn into Mexico.  We call farmers thrown off their land as
just "part of economic reality.  But if these same farmers then decide to
cross the border to make a living for their families, that is to be resisted
with armed force.  The whole immigration policy and process is generating
tremendous wealth for agribusiness in the United States.  That agribusiness
has a nameless, faceless work force, however, which allows it to avoid
payments into our wider social service networks.  As a result, all the
wealth undocumented workers generate within our economy tends to go toward
huge big business.  The money undocumented workers take out tends to come
from social services.  (Although Social Security receives payments for which
it will never pay out in the future as employers take advantage of the
transitory nature of undocumented workers to register false names for Social
Security.)

Immigration touches on the injustice in our tax code, food justice, the
environment, labor relations, and, perhaps worst of all and hidden from our
view, the oppression of indigenous peoples (who are/were largely farmers).
For me, faith is the only thing that keeps me going on this issue.  I just
keep walking and do the next just thing.  The whole things seems too
daunting for me to think in any other way.

Hope that did not confuse things more.  But thanks for the discussion.

Grace and peace,

Mike Mulberry.

"Courage is the first virtue.  Without it, none of the other virtues are
possible."--Rev. William Sloane Coffin

Community United Church

805 S. Sixth Street

Champaign, IL  61820