[Peace-discuss] Re: IMC reporter kicked out of CPD briefing

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 11 18:51:12 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 05:45:15PM -0500, Wendy Edwards wrote:
> Had Chief Finney refused to allow Brian in simply because he didn't
> agree with the opinions in Public i, that would have been a problem.
> However, denying press credentials because of a history or disruptive
> or inappropriate behavior seems valid.
>
> Allowing one person to disrupt a press conference would have been a
> disservice to the other media representatives there because it would
> have wasted their time and made it harder to get their questions
> answered.  What if Fred Phelps had wanted to stage a demonstration
> during the press conference?  Should he have also been granted access?

I'd agree with non-disruption in principle, but that isn't an issue here, is it?
As far as we know, Brian Dolinar wasn't preparing to stage a demonstration, but
to ask questions, including unwelcome ones.  *Is* there a basis to presume otherwise?
If not, what justification could Finney have had to exclude him?