[Peace-discuss] Re: IMC reporter kicked out of CPD briefing

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 01:01:53 CDT 2007

Again, I don't know the situation re Brian Dolinar and Capt Finney, so I was just agreeing that yes, members of the press should behave professionally during press conferences. That being said, terms like "unprofessional" (and enemy combatant) are unspecific enough that they can be used to deny basic rights. Since that apparently is NOT the case here, what can be done so that alternative publications like the Public i can attend press conferences?

  BTW, White House press conferences are managed (if not scripted) and only those who (generally) ask the right (and I do mean right) questions are called on (think NOT Helen Thomas), tho' when things get really awful, hard questions are indeed asked (asked, not answered. Think Snow job).

  I caught local Fox News at  Nine tonite (Ch 27/11 in our area), and there was a lengthy story early in the program about Carle's and Christi'e's denial of treatment for medicaid patients, AND their denial of denial of treatment for medicaid patients. Talk about holding feet to the fire! It was great to hear.

  Jenifer

Marti <tvchick at insightbb.com> wrote:
  Having seen some of the video excerpts of city council meetings the mayor
has, more than once, interrupted people who have attended to address the
council. Perhaps we should tell the mayor that he should be seen and not
heard. The one where I did see BD interject was when he was at the podium
and the mayor cut in on what he was saying.

In all of the posts and emails that have been exchanged no one has been able
to offer evidence of unprofessional conduct at press conferences by writers
for the Public I. I asked Rene Dunn for the reasons why BD was asked to
leave, she politely declined to discuss the matter, and I respected her
wishes.

There is a viable need for alternative media. Particularly since mass media
has been increasingly subject to ownership by corporations which has
significantly lowered the bar for what is considered to be news. The
News-Gazette has a local monopoly on the media with the ownership of the
newspaper and WDWS/WHMS. Even the local TV affiliates are part of larger
conglomerates and corporate politics has had a corrosive impact on news
coverage. In a time span of less than 30 years we've gone from Katherine
Graham to Rupert Murdoch. It's this type of climate that makes the antics of
Paris Hilton and the late Anna Nicole Smith 'newsworthy'.

The one advantage we have with citizen journalists is the fact that they are
encouraged to articulate how our public officials and public servants have
an impact on individuals and neighborhoods. The only way a story like
Watergate could break today would be through independent media outlets that
do not conform to the corporate culture.

Peace, Marti