[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [PDI] Local Activists Arrested - court date June 27th , Vote Tallies on Iraq bill, Napervilleto vote on environment, DAWN event info

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 10:32:14 CDT 2007

DAWN Glen Ellyn <dawn_198 at msn.com> wrote:  From: "DAWN Glen Ellyn" <dawn_198 at msn.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:39:51 -0500
Subject: [PDI] Local Activists Arrested - court date June 27th ,
Vote Tallies on Iraq bill, Napervilleto vote on environment,
DAWN event info

A fellow DAWN member vouches for the integrity of this gentleman, who was arrested for a peaceful protest in a highly visible location. Read on:
Hi everyone,

In February this year I had gone to Judy Biggert's (R-13th) office with Jeff and a few others -- about 15 of us -- to hand deliver letters to Judy during MoveOn's "Congress is the Decider" campaign. It was Jeff's first activism of any kind.

I am pretty sure Jeff's story is as accurate as can be and I recommend we do something about his situation. We are the groups most concerned about the Iraq War and due process in our country.

- Ahmed Q.

Hello Everyone,

I want to share something that happened recently. I think it's important and I hope you do too.

On May 6th, 2007 a friend and I displayed an "IMPEACH Bush and Cheney - LIARS" banner alongside an upside down American flag inside the fencing on a pedestrian bridge over a local expressway. We were there for approximately 1.5 hrs before a state trooper showed up. He politely asked us to remove our display. He said he was concerned it might distract motorists and increase the risk of an accident. We respectfully complied with the trooper's request. We were about to leave the bridge when three dupage county sherriff's deputies arrived at the scene. One deputy was angry, provocative, and threatening. He said he would put in a call to the State's Attorney's Office and hoped to see us again. We remained peaceful and cooperative. We gave the deputies our personal info at their request then they told us we were free to go. Nearly three weeks later on May 25th, I was arrested at my home and charged with disorderly conduct. I spent over seven hours in jail being processed. My
 friend learned she had a warrant out for her arrest and turned herself in on tuesday after the holiday weekend. According to the official complaint against me, I.....

"knowingly without a county permit, staged a war protest on the Great Western Trail overpass in unincorporated DuPage County, Illinois causing the vehicles on the highway (I355) to swerve causing a traffic disturbance because unknown objects were being thrown on the expressway, as well as the American flag being displayed in an upside down manner from the overpass."

While my friend and I were certainly on the Trail above the highway displaying the American flag in an upside down manner (along with the IMPEACH Bush & Cheney - LIARS! sign), we did not throw anything onto the expressway. There were no swerving vehicles and no traffic disturbances either. I suspect the display offended someone who is trying to surpress us. It's ironic.....I peacefully protest against our criminally dishonest leaders and wind up in jail falsely accused of a crime that doesn't exist because of someone else's lies. What the hell has happened to our country?

I have retained an attorney. My first court date is June 27th, 2007 at 8:30 am, DuPage County Judicial Center, 421 N County Farm Rd, Room 2800, Wheaton, IL. The case number is 07CM2487. The Judge's name is Dorothy French.

Please feel free to spread this story around. It would be great to see you all in the courtroom.

Jeff Zurawski
630-247-6777

Vote Tallies on the War Funding Bill
A solid majority of House Democrats, 140 to 86, voted against the bill. In the Senate, only a minority of 14 voted 'No,' including nine Democrats, three Republicans, and one Independent.

All Democratic presidential candidates in Congress, except for Biden, voted 'No.'

In Illinois, Obama and Durbin split in the Senate, with Obama voting 'No.'

As for Illinois in the House, it was 11-to-8 in favor. The Democrats were all 'Nos' except for Bean, Emanuel and Lipinski, who voted with the GOP.

YES Votes

Republicans -Judy Biggert ,J. Dennis Hastert, Tim Johnson, Mark Steven Kirk, Ray LaHood, Don Manzullo ,
Peter Roskam
John Shimkus

Democrats - Melissa Bean ,Rahm Emanuel ,Dan Lipinski

NO Votes -

Democrats -Jerry Costello, Danny Davis ,Luis Gutierrez ,Phil Hare,Jesse Jackson, Bobby Rush ,Jan Schakowsky

Not voting:
Rep. Jerry Weller (R)

Off- topic but thought you'd like to know:
Naperville : ask City Council to sign US Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement byJune 19th

On May 15, a group of Kennedy Jr. High School students made an excellent presentation to the Naperville City Council about global warming (www.naperville.il.us/dynamic_content.aspx?id=3788 Part 1, 19:12 min ) and asked the council to sign onto the U.S. Mayors' Climate Protection Agreemnet.

On June 19th the Naperville City Council will vote on whether to sign the agreement and make Naperville a more livable and vibrant city, while lowering energy bills, creating jobs and reducing global warming pollution. The agreement would commit Naperville to adopt these three basic, practical and innovative solutions that reduce energy waste and carbon dioxide pollution:

1) Converting city vehicle fleets to hybrid or other cleaner vehicles,

2) Create a comprehensive energy efficiency program for the city

3) Increasing use of renewable energy sources.

Please support this effort by encouraging your congregation members to support this initiative by contacting the city council: phone 548-2983 or e-mail council at naperville.il.us. You can also circulate a petition in your congregation (see attachment)

Anything you can do, both personally and through your congregations would be very appreciated. Maybe its time to follow the lead of our children and do what we can to make their world a more livable place.

Thanks!

Tom Cordaro

DAWN event- tickets on sale now!! Thanks to those who sent in their checks already! See below

DuPage Against War Now ( DAWN ) Invites you to a special fundraising performance of William Shakespeare's Richard III, performed under the stars at the beautiful Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oak Brook, Illinois. The event will be held Thursday, July 12th. Refreshments will be served by DAWN prior to the show starting at 6:30 pm.
Learn more about DAWN at www.d-a-w-n.org.
Learn more about First Folio at www.firstfolio.org
We hope that you will Join DAWN and friends for a beautiful July evening under the stars. We know that you will enjoy the gifted performances, stunning stage- sets, and the Ravinia-style atmosphere under the trees on the picturesque grounds of the Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oak Brook, Illinois. We think you will appreciate Shakespeare's timeless work, Richard III ,a tale of a tragic king from days gone by, as it applies to today's events. Proceeds will benefit DAWN in its future voter registration drives, film screenings, and other peace-related events.

To BUY TICKETS: Each ticket is $30. Checks should be made out to Kathy Slovick. Please mail your check to Kathy Slovick, 2S437 Terrace Drive, Glen Ellyn Illinois, 60137. Please include your return address along with your phone number. Your tickets will be mailed to you, and you name will be listed at the entrance of the outdoor theater.

Where to PARK: The main Parking Lot for First Folio Mayslake is just off 31st Street. Look for the sign west of Route 83.

REFRESHMENTS will be served by DAWN starting at 6:30pm . Look for our green and white tablecloths in the shady area just off the parking lot .

What to BRING: Bring folding chairs or a blanket to sit on, a jacket in case it gets chilly, and bug spray. You may wish to bring a picnic basket, a small table, or any other creature- comforts to make your evening more enjoyable. Beverages such as soda, beer or wine are fine to bring. There are plenty of bathrooms ( yes, they're port-a - potties ) near the outdoor stage.
If you have any questions, you may call Kathy at 630-469-8251 or Amy at 630-469-4931.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Amy and Kathy

  But judge for yourself, don't be afraid, Watch This or This