"Woowoo pilots" was - Re: [Peace-discuss] Pentagon

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 12:06:42 CDT 2007

I am very reluctant to bring my personal background froward, but in this case I will admit that I served one tour in the Navy as a pilot. I have 960.4 pilot hours, of which 421.9 were flying single engine jet fighters. I also have 135.9 hours as a multi-engine pilot. Your arguments below are irrelevant regarding the black box "data.".

  Anyone who has even flown knows that aircraft altimeters are extremely accurate barometers. But to serve as altimeters, they must be corrected for local barometric pressure. All airports post their altitude. A pilot on the ground at that airport can dial in the airport's altitude and then the altimeter will automatically show the barometric pressure at that airport. A pilot flying into an airport, particularly when on instruments, always obtains the barometric pressure at that airport (which is broadcast,) and sets his altimeter to that pressure, so his altimeter will read correctly for that airport.

  Barometric altimeters are extremely accurate at ground level when adjusted for the correct barometric pressure. En route, their accuracy changes because they are flying between different weather conditions and barometric pressures, and that is why, when above 18,000, they are re-set to the "standard" (but almost in all cases, fictitious,) setting of 29.92. This makes the altimeters of all the aircraft in the vicinity read for the same pressure, although the altitude is almost certainly not correct. But everyone is using the same setting and thus the error is uniform - which is what counts.

  But when you get close to the ground you get the correct pressure setting and your altimeter is accurate.

  Now the black box showed that the altimeter was never changed from it's above 18,000 feet setting of 29.92. Thus the altimeter would have indicated that the aircraft was at an altitude a couple of hundred feet below the Pentagon when it supposedly hit it. But the black box "data" showed that it was at the altitude of the Pentagon WITH THE WRONG PRESSURE SETTING of 29.92. THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE.

  THERE IS NO EXPLAINATION OTHER THAN THAT THE BLACK BOX DATA WAS FUDGED.

  If you are interested further, I suggest you educate yourself at :

  How do planes know the exact altitude ?
  http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug97/866507388.Ph.r.html

  Your statements below are as irrelevant as was your claim that nobody could have expected the hijackers to reset the altimeter.

  You have my condolences.