[Peace-discuss] Another "conspiracy theorist, " Global Warming variety.

ouroboros rex c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 28 16:37:06 CDT 2007

Chuck Minne wrote:

>From: http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/the-discover-interview-henrik-svensmark
>
>  Sun's Shifts May Cause Global Warming  06.25.2007
>    His studies show that natural variations in the sun plays a major role in global warming. So are humans off the hook? And if so, why does he use compact fluorescent lightbulbs?
>
>  by Marion Long
>
>    Most leading climate experts don’t agree with Henrik Svensmark, the 49-year-old director of the Center for Sun-Climate Research at the Danish National Space Center in Copenhagen. In fact, he has taken a lot of blows for proposing that solar activity and cosmic rays are instrumental in determining the warming (and cooling) of Earth. His studies show that cosmic rays trigger cloud formation, suggesting that a high level of solar activity—which suppresses the flow of cosmic rays striking the atmosphere—could result in fewer clouds and a warmer planet. This, Svensmark contends, could account for most of the warming during the last century. Does this mean that carbon dioxide is less important than we’ve been led to believe? Yes, he says, but how much less is impossible to know because climate models are so limited.
>
>  There is probably no greater scientific heresy today than questioning the warming role of CO2, especially in the wake of the report issued by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). That report warned that nations must cut back on greenhouse gas emissions, and insisted that “unless drastic action is taken . . . millions of poor people will suffer from hunger, thirst, floods, and disease.” As astrophysicist ?Eugene Parker, the discoverer of solar wind, writes in the foreword to Svensmark’s new book, The Chilling Stars: A New Theory of Climate Change, “Global warming has become a political issue both in government and in the scientific community.
>
>  The scientific lines have been drawn by ‘eminent’ scientists, and an important new idea is an unwelcome intruder. It upsets the established orthodoxy.”

Yes, folks whose ideas don't bear fruit when subjected to further study
often say such things. The truth is, scientists check each others' work
all the time, and if you can upset the other guys' apple cart with
better work, you often get more famous in your field.

Here's his problem:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=42

Of course, even so, I'm having to deal with woowoos on
alt.global-warming that bring up cosmic rays constantly now.