[Peace-discuss] Chomsky remarks

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Fri Jun 29 23:15:50 CDT 2007

Interesting comments by Chomsky on what it would take to change US
policies/politics. Aside from what I believe arguable concerning
recommendations vis a vis Albert and Hahnel and their utopian views,
I think his conclusions hold water, but he doesn't quite spell them
out: What is really needed is a revolution, but aside from disaster
to effect same, there seems to be no viable force to produce such a
revolution on the foreseeable horizon.

Anyway, here are the remarks:

Chomsky on Progressive Strategy
by Wolfgang Brauner
Noam Chomsky is one of the key figures on the American and global
left. He is said to be one of the most widely quoted intellectuals in
the world. In 2005, readers of AlterNet voted him MVP (Most Valuable
Progressive). And he remains very close to many activists.

For all these reasons, we were very excited when we finally had the
opportunity in late May to interview Chomsky for 25 minutes about his
thinking on progressive grand strategy for building political power
on the American left. More specifically, and in keeping with the main
interest of our Progressive Strategy Studies Project, we asked him
whether he finds it useful to think about how to build power in
strategic terms.

Glancing at the list of individuals and organizations that we
included in our first report, “Finding Strategy: A Survey of
Contemporary Contributions to Progressive Strategy,” he noted that
there was more “extensive and far-reaching” thinking on progressive
strategy than what was reflected in our report.

Throughout the interview, he mainly referred to the work of Gar
Alperovitz, Michael Albert and Robin Hahnel, and Joel Rogers (the
latter is included in our report), on how to democratize the economy
and the workplace through worker self-management, cooperatives, etc.
In particular, he referred to Alperovitz’ latest book, America Beyond
Capitalism: Reclaiming our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
(2004), and a number of books by Michael Albert and Robin Hahnel on
participatory economics and broader sociopolitical issues. Chomsky
considers their work to be very important, particularly for activists.

He started out by emphasizing that the US is “a one-party state with
two wings, Democrat and Republican,” and claimed that both were “way
to the right of the majority of Americans” on many crucial issues.
According to Chomsky, social scientists like C. Wright Mills, Thomas
Ferguson, and Bill Domhoff (who also is included in our report) are
pretty much right: Corporations dominate the power structure and
hence US politics. In the US this is even more so the case than in
other countries because of the much more brutal suppression of labor.
Quoting Dewey, Chomsky noted that in the absence of economic
democracy, “politics is the shadow cast on society by big business.”

Since the state, having become so thoroughly co-opted by corporate
interests, is part of the problem, it is difficult to significantly
change it from within through elections or public policy reforms.
While short-term, pragmatic change remains possible and desirable,
systemic change would require a transformation of power relations
within society through a democratization of economic decision-making.

Criticizing the recent health care reform in Massachusetts as overly
complicated precisely because it has to respond to too many corporate
interests, Chomsky noted that, even though a large majority of the
population favors straightforward changes, the US can’t even achieve
a real health care reform. While pragmatic change is better than
nothing, it pales in comparison to the kind of change a country like
Bolivia has been able to achieve, “something the US and other Western
societies can only dream of.”

Serious progress towards a truly functioning democracy requires
democratizing the economy. Traditionally, labor has been the main
agent of change, but today it is, as Chomsky put it, “smashed,” and
struggles to survive. Who can fill the huge gap that labor has left
behind? Chomsky admits that other actors, such as churches and
universities, are weak, if not marginal, though there has been
impressive growth of popular movements, many of them quite new and
promising. They offer considerable promise and opportunity for those
willing to keep working hard at “building the cells of a future
society.”

Wolfgang Brauner is the Project Manager and Principal Researcher of
the Progressive Strategy Studies Project at the Commonwealth
Institute in Cambridge, Mass. (http://www.comw.org/pssp/index.html).
You can reach him at wbrauner at comw.org. The report, “Finding
Strategy: A Survey of Contemporary Contributions to Progressive
Strategy,” can be found here: http://www.comw.org/pssp/fulltext/
0611psspreport1.pdf.