[Peace-discuss] Poem about Haitian worker oppression in Dominican Republic

Shara Esbenshade esbenshd at uni.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 2 05:12:06 CST 2007

I recently had a poem of mine published in my school's online newspaper as
a podcast. It is about Haitian workers in the Dominican Republic, which I
have been studying this year through Global Studies Initiative, a program
through which I will travel to the Dominican Republic this summer for two
weeks. I think the bateys of the Dominican Republic need to be talked
about more because very few people know about what they are or what it is
like for a Haitian in the Dominican Republic, where mass deportations of
Haitians and Haitian-Dominicans occur regularly. So if you'd like to read
the poem or hear it read, below are the links.

The poem:
http://www.uni.uiuc.edu/gargoyle/2007/03/audio_podcast_shara_esbenshade.htm

A discussion of it:
http://www.uni.uiuc.edu/gargoyle/2007/03/audio_podcast_shara_esbenshade_1.htm