[Peace-discuss] Poem about Haitian worker oppression in Dominican Republic

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 12:53:10 CST 2007

Me too!

Wendy Edwards <wedwards at uiuc.edu> wrote:  I like it!

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:12:06AM -0600, Shara Esbenshade wrote:
> I recently had a poem of mine published in my school's online newspaper as
> a podcast. It is about Haitian workers in the Dominican Republic, which I
> have been studying this year through Global Studies Initiative, a program
> through which I will travel to the Dominican Republic this summer for two
> weeks. I think the bateys of the Dominican Republic need to be talked
> about more because very few people know about what they are or what it is
> like for a Haitian in the Dominican Republic, where mass deportations of
> Haitians and Haitian-Dominicans occur regularly. So if you'd like to read
> the poem or hear it read, below are the links.
>
> The poem:
> http://www.uni.uiuc.edu/gargoyle/2007/03/audio_podcast_shara_esbenshade.htm
>
> A discussion of it:
> http://www.uni.uiuc.edu/gargoyle/2007/03/audio_podcast_shara_esbenshade_1.htm
>
> Enjoy!
>
> -Shara Esbenshade

NOTICE: George W. Bush has issued Executive Orders allowing the National Security Agency to read this message and all other e-mail you receive or send---without warning, warrant or notice. Bush has ordered this to be done without any legislative or judicial oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of President Bush and other government officials who are involved in this illegal and unconstitutional activity. from: Information Clearing House