[Peace-discuss] Feckless Democrats

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 7 22:12:25 CST 2007

There are two ways to be "anti-war," as I suggested the other day: one
is serious; the other (Obama's way) is cynical pretense (altho' it may
have some naive fellow-travelers in the Congress).  Who stands where
will become clear when the supplemental funding for the war comes to a
vote.  Serious opponents of the war will vote against it (and I hope
filibuster it: only 41 votes are required to defeat it).  Others will
vote for it with various amendments (from Webb, Murtha et al.), altho'
one knows perfectly well that once passed it will be accepted by the
president with a "signing statement" that will remove whatever force
those amendments have.  --CGE