[Peace-discuss] Membership, AWARE endorsement

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:06:27 CDT 2007

You become a member of AWARE by attending meetings, Barbara. There is no
litmus test. However, you cannot speak for AWARE without consensus from
a Sunday meeting regarding your text. This rule applies to Bob, to Carl,
and to all of us.

Carl and Bob can, of course, speak as members of AWARE, but they must
not imply or state that their opinions are those of AWARE without
consensus. We are way too diverse a group.

I personally disagree with much of Carl's point five, such as the
"long-term US policy in the region -- control of the region's
energy resources" and his implication that he knows Obama's motives.
I think that our motivations in invading Iraq are borderline
incoherent, and saying that it is about oil is like saying that
the Civil War was about slavery. There were many reasons for each.

Bob