[Peace-discuss] Membership, AWARE endorsement

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:50:36 CDT 2007

Bob Illyes wrote:
>saying that it is about oil is like saying that
>the Civil War was about slavery. There were many reasons for each.

Honestly, I do think most of the reason the US is at all interested in the Middle East is because the US would like US or our friends to be in control of the oil resources.

Is religion another part of the reason? W would have the fundamentalist Christians believe it.

Is freedom a part of it? Only as far as the US is free to own the major energy resources of the world.

Is spreading democracy part of it? The only reason W even uses the word "democracy" is because he thinks it is synonymous with "friend who will let us have the resources."

So what are some of the reasons you think we are in Iraq and Afghanistan?

-karen medina