[Peace-discuss] Civil War...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:46:13 CDT 2007

As you say, the Civil war was indeed about slavery, Tom, but you surely
don't mean that Zinn's account is "crude economic determinism."  He
describes the war as chosen by elites in pursuit of their perceived
interests.  The Republican party was founded explicitly to prevent the
extension of slavery into the territories, to the interest of Northern
industrialists and land owners, who exploited labor by the wage
contract.  When a Republican president was elected, Southern landowners
and industrialists ("the slave interest") saw their method of extracting
labor, chattel slavery, threatened; their response was to withdraw the
states they controlled from the union.

You're right that Marx saw the Northern victory as progressive, but in
the sense that it clarified the class struggle.  Marx wrote a lot about
the war while it was happening, much of it for Greeley's New York
Tribune, but his most concise comment was a letter drafted in London in
November of 1864 for the recently-formed International Working Men's
Association, congratulating Lincoln on his re-election.  In it he makes
it clear that he saw slavery in the US as retarding the worker's
movement, and that the defeat of slavery would make the struggle between
capital and labor clearer.

So long as slavery existed in the U.S., Marx wrote, workers "boasted it
the highest prerogative of the white-skinned laborer to sell himself and
choose his own master," in contrast to slaves, who were already sold and
couldn't choose their own masters (i.e, "I may be a poor worker, but at
least I'm not a salve.")  Under these conditions, workers "were unable
to attain the true freedom of labor" -- which is the "struggle for
emancipation."

Incidentally, this letter was delivered to Charles Francis Adams, the US
Ambassador in England, who transmitted Lincoln's response courteously
and referred to the ongoing war as "the present conflict with slavery."
  Almost two years before, Lincoln himself had written to workers of
Manchester who supported the Union and referred to the war as "the
attempt to overthrow this Government, which was built upon the
foundation of human rights, and to substitute for it one which should
rest exclusively on human slavery." --CGE