[Peace-discuss] Opposition (police & citizen) at 3/17 DC rally

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 19 13:36:23 CDT 2007

One encouraging thing about the opposition, official and un-,
at last weekend's rally.  I was at the January rally, where
police sat quietly on the margins, and citizen protestors, though
present, probably didn't exceed two dozen.  It was delightful being
among so many (more or less) like-thinking people, but it seemed
too easy: if the Administration were worried about the effect we'd
have, they'd have mounted more opposition to the protest.

Now at *this* rally, our side had a much harder time of it -- it's
clear there was well-organized official obstruction, as well as
(at least apparently unofficial) counterprotests.  I take this
to mean that the public and congressional opposition
has reached the point that the Administration finally is
beginning to show some fear.   I am heartened.

Keep up the good work, all.

   Stuart