[Peace-discuss] Listen up, Mark has a message for you..... Fascism is on the rise locally!

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 16:00:04 CDT 2007

At the very least, this defintely merits a letter from somebody who attended the Sheehan event, debunking the notion that Thompson was in the very least physically threatened by anyone. This sort of accusation of incipient violence, implying the need for pre-emption, is indeed indicative of the fascist mentality.

  David Green

Jan & Durl Kruse <jandurl at insightbb.com> wrote:
  Today, I believe AWARE is receiving the first results of the Sunday
March 18 N-G AD. The 3/18 AWARE AD noted the beginning of the 5th year
of the war in Iraq and the resulting death, destruction and lack of
democracy. Today the editorial page of the News-Gazette and editorial
writer Jim Dey dedicates 4 columns (8 1/2 by 91/2 inches) of free space
to a summary of radio advertisements that Mark Thompson apparently runs
on a local radio station. These radio advertising spots are to sell
his business, but they are much more than that.
With the N-G offering him free coverage to tell his "version of
reality" Mr. Thompson is given at no cost, advertising space for his
business and for his anti-AWARE views.
The paper summarizes four of the radio advertisements.
Mr. Thompson intermingles religion, business, pro government and his
right-wing political views in the radio spots.
Jim Dey offers Mark Thompson space and opportunity to make numerous
erroneous statements. Perhaps the N-G allow this since it is on the
Opinion Page.
Here is a sample of one radio ad reprinted today in the N-G:
“Hi this is Mark from Slot and Wing Hobbies. RU aware. That is a
double-edged sword in Champaign-Urbana . I hope you are aware of the
group AWARE. That’s the acronym for the ant-war anti-racism effort,
the local branch of the world-wide propaganda machine that is
responsible for most all the demonstrations of magnitude that speak
against our government.”

Dey adds his own commentary: “that obviously this is aimed at the local
left-wing group that protests against pretty much everything.”
Thompson claims he brought 800 counter protesters to Prospect to oppose
AWARE. (I only saw a few hundred rude pro-Bush pro-war supporters
once or twice. When it got cold they were gone!)
The N-G allows Thompson to claim he needed a police escort out of the
3/1/07 Cindy Sheehan event to protect him from being physically
assaulted by the proponents of peace. This statement is far from what
we witnessed. Paul Wood of the N-G was present and could easily have
verify this falsehood.
The attitude and behavior of Mr. Thompson reminded me of a particular
word. I looked up Fascist. It didn’t say Mark Thompson, but it did
say: “consuming nationalism, distain for human rights, supremacy of
military, religion and government intertwined, and a desire to control
the media”.
After seeing the N-G feature today with accompanying photo of Mark
Thompson it seems apparent to me that Jim Dey has verified and seems to
support what many in this community already feared; that fascism is on
the rise locally!
Jan Kruse