[Peace-discuss] Re: misgivings on Iraq War: A Four Year Reflection

Nick nich.shoom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:44:58 CDT 2007

I strongly agree with Martin and Peter regarding the creation of a display
showing the Iraqi loss of life to the American loss of life.  To propose a
memorial to "our troops" (while ignoring the civilian dead, who number many
more than American military casualties) perpetuates the mindset that certain
victims of this war are more important than others.  Limiting ourselves and
restricting our focus to American deaths in order to avoid alienating the
mythical masses of people waiting to be won over to the anti-war movement is
a mistake.  People will come because of their own views and experiences, not
because the anti-war movement advertises better than the pro-war forces.
Chasing after numbers while dismissing those with honest disagreements and
different ideas as "elitist" or "fringe" is not going to stop people from
being killed.

-Nick