[Peace-discuss] George Carlin

tvchick at insightbb.com tvchick at insightbb.com
Wed Mar 28 12:28:50 CDT 2007

In the case of George Carlin and the "seven dirty words" this particular case dealt with the FCC. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) came about in the days of radio due to the fact that, in it's infancy, people were starting their own stations and overlapping signals. The philosophy behind this is that the airwaves are public property. So even though WCIA has a license to broadcast programming with their signal they don't 'own' it. In a way it's like leasing a car.

Because the airwaves are considered to be public property there are going to be more stringent regulations than what is seen on print, film, or cable. While Carlin can't say specific words on the air through radio...he can feel free to say what he wants in his various specials that have been taped for HBO. He shot to fame in the late 1960's as a comedian who worked the counterculture circuit and much of his humor really does reflect a level of being both thoughtful and intelligent. Most Generation X'ers and younger might better remember him as Rufus in "Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure" and it's brain candy sequel where the grim reaper stole the show.

My suggestion would be to not base an opinion on him due to a few jokes that have been posted or a source like wikipedia (which is not the most reliable source of information). His books are available at places like Barnes and Noble, and Borders and it's quite likely the public library may have copies available to check out.

Peace, Marti