[Peace-discuss] Mildly

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 29 23:13:47 CDT 2007

Circular argument?

I think I need to rephrase my thinking then.  I am fairly certain that democracy cannot work in the
United States because the structural prerequisites do not exist.  Tocqueville provided the framework for
developing this line of analysis.  The precondition for democracy is a society constructed around and
oriented towards equality.  However, the rise of an industrial and now financial/commercial elite has
created the soft tyranny Tocqueville feared would destroy the equality of social conditions in American
democracy.  This elite and the unequal society formed under their watch came to power because
Americans have, as Tocqueville also noted, a concern with private affairs that trumps their
communitarian values and committment to general equality.  This is best manifested in the American
consumerist ethos and even the American Dream that rewards economic gain ahead of the
community---an ethical system whose values permeate social institutions and destroy their democratic
character.