[Peace-discuss] The root of evil

illyes at uiuc.edu illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 30 09:08:43 CDT 2007

Yup, folks. Most money in a few hands is the problem. I think de Tocqueville also suggested that democracy worked in proportion to the health of the middle class. The decline of the middle class we've seen for some time is a leading indicator of plutocracy. Not a pretty picture.

Some folkes I disagree with would try to get rid of all wealth. I think this is a terrible idea. The difference between normal wealth, and the wealth far in excess of anything you could spend on yourself, is hard to wrap your mind around. I've asked various people what the ultra-wealthy could possible do with all of this money, i.e., what could they buy. The best answer I got was from Bob Herendeen. He said they can "buy people".

Bob