[Peace-discuss] Venality

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 30 11:28:15 CDT 2007

I don't think we're all as venal as you suggest, Chuck. We have
to start with the characteristics of real human beings, not with
some abstract "ideal" being. Ambition and the pursuit of status
are built into us at a genetic level, and it is not useful to
rail against what is inborn. This statement used to be considered
heresy by social scientists, but is now acceptable thanks to the
efforts of Konrad Lorenz and many other ethologists.

The problem is when society allows behavior to exceed all common
sense, which is what we have with the ultra-wealthy. This is serious
pathology we're looking at, literally dangerous to the species.
It is the economic equivalent of widespread cannibalism.

Bob