[Peace-discuss] "free enterprise" and Ameren

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue May 29 01:07:54 CDT 2007

As Ricky says, there is no such thing as "free enterprise," never has
been, never will be. Corporations and businesses exist and function
within a framework created by government policy.

An extreme case, that might well resonate with many Champaign-Urbana
residents this July: Ameren.

>From a Citizens Utility Board press release, March 6
http://www.citizensutilityboard.org/newsReleases20070306_CUBApplaudsHouseVote.html

"The Citizens Utility Board (CUB) Tuesday praised the Illinois house
for approving a bill to extend the current freeze on electric rates
and to roll back massive rate hikes have caused bills of some ComEd
and Ameren customers to double and even triple."

"...Ameren rates soared an average 40 to 55 percent. However, because
of the rate structure, some consumers have seen their bills increase
as much as 300 percent."

"Ameren Corp. also has fared well under the rate freeze. Its stock
price has doubled and it also posted record profits under the rate
freeze. A study conducted last year shows Ameren also could afford to
keep rates at current levels and still earn healthy returns. Ameren
will earn an extra $700 million a year from the rate hike. "

"We can't continue to pretend we have a competitive electricity market
in Illinois when we don't," [CUB Executive Director David] Kolata
said.