[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul Assignment

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 3 07:44:50 CDT 2007

"...Ron Paul's opinion on most African Americans being criminals" is an
expansive version of the smear being used against Paul by neocons and
liberals alike.  It's based on remarks in a Paul campaign newsletter
from 15 years ago and seems devoid of any sense of responsibility to
determine his views on racial matters from what he's said or written.

Here's an account of the incident from Wikipedia:

	During the 1996 campaign, [Paul's Democratic congressional opponent,
who attacked Paul for his opposition to federal drug laws] also attacked
issues of the Ron Paul Survival Report (published by Paul since 1985)
that included derogatory comments concerning race and other politicians.
  The newsletter had accused President Bill Clinton of fathering
illegitimate children and using cocaine; called U.S. Representative
Barbara Jordan a "fraud" and a "half-educated victimologist"; and argued
for lowering the legal age for prosecuting youths as adults, using
race-based examples.
	In 2001, Paul took "moral responsibility" for the comments printed in
his newsletter under his name, explaining they were written by a
ghostwriter and did not represent his views. He said the remarks
referring to Rep. Jordan were "the saddest thing, because Barbara and I
served together and actually she was a delightful lady." Texas Monthly
magazine defended Paul's decision to protect the writer's confidence in
1996, concluding, "In four terms as a U.S. congressman and one
presidential race, Paul had never uttered anything remotely like this."
In 2007, with the controversy resurfacing, the New York Times Magazine
concurred that Paul denied the allegations "quite believably, since the
style diverges widely from his own"; Paul actually criticizes racism as
"an ugly form of collectivism".

Paul's real sin may be that his opposition to racism is based on
libertarian -- rather than liberal -- principles.  He wrote the
following in April of this year:

	"Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views
humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists
believe that all individuals who share superficial physical
characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms
of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the
advocates of so-called 'diversity' actually perpetuate racism. Their
obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist."

For all Kucinich's opposition to the war, he saw fit to endorse Kerry in
November 2004.  In contrast, Paul was asked at last month candidates'
debate if he would back the Republican nominee in 2008 and replied, "Not
unless they're willing to end the war and bring our troops home..."

There does however seem to be one contradiction in Paul's
anti-interventionist position: although he did vote against the Iraq War
Resolution, he voted in favor of force in Afghanistan.  But in the
September 5, 2007, Republican debate, he said, "We've lost over 5,000
American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. How much do we have to pay to
save face? It's time we came home."  --CGE